Easy to reach, hard to leave
Incredibly this slice of paradise with 100km of coastline is just 17.7km from downtown Auckland and easily accessed by fast, comfortable ferries in just 35 minutes . With dozens of passenger and vehicle ferries sailing to and from the island daily, it is convenient for visitors from New Zealand and overseas to experience the delights of Waiheke Island as a day trip or short break. But be warned – you will want to stay longer.
Waiheke Island – a global wedding destination
Small wonder that Waiheke Island was recommended by the New York Times as one of the world’s top Places to Go in 2013 and is one of New Zealand’s most popular wedding destinations, welcoming couples from around the country and from overseas.
Couples wishing to marry on the island will find the island has a well established community of wedding industry professionals and a range of venues from vineyards to exclusive beach homes and of course a thousand and one special outdoor locations to tie the knot.
You’ll find everything you need for a perfect Waiheke Island wedding including a well established network of wedding planners, celebrants, catering, florists, entertainment, celebrants, transport and our complete hire services from marquees and furniture to décor.
We can help put you in touch with all the right people. Contact us today
Waiheke – need to know facts
With a permanent population of 8,000 and a summer swell of up to 25,000 visitors, Waiheke Island has the businesses and visitor services you would expect in a larger community. You’ll find:
- banks and shops (including supermarkets and pharmacies)
- a myriad of cafes, vineyards and restaurants catering for all tastes and budgets
- car, scooter, bike or kayak hire and an extensive bus network offering organized tours or regular services to all the main centres on the island.
- relaxing outdoor activities include bushwalks, swimming, fishing charters and paddle boarding or visit historic Stony Batter with gun sites and tunnels from World War II
- for a taste of adventure try the zipline flying fox at EcoZip Adventures or visit Wild on Waiheke to try your hand at clay pigeon shooting and archery.
The iSite in Waiheke’s main centre of Oneroa has a wealth of information about actitvities, transport and accommodation options on the island. Or, do contact us, we have lived on the island for 20+ years and are more than happy to share our local knowledge.